What We Are Watching

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Movie Time: Good Night, and Good Luck

Time to hit up the Netflix and see where we're at...
Last night we settled in with a pizza and Good Night, and Good Luck.

I quite liked it. I love Clooney's subtle and calm and simplistic directorial style. Though this movie seemed vastly different from Confessions of Dangerous Mind, there are enough similarities to say that the man has a style now and I like it. I hope he continues to direct.

The story is about how Edward R. Murrow took on Joseph McCarthy in the 50's, a lone journalist (who really was just a ringleader with guts) taking on a politician who was abusing Americans left and right in the name of patriotism. Obvious parallels can be drawn to our current political climate.

David Straitharn was awesome; I was on the Phillip Seymour Hoffman bandwagon for Oscar when he won because he embodied Capote so well; well, Straitharn totally morphed into Murrow too and in some ways, I'm wondering if he was robbed now. Some other interesting things that stood out: Jeff Daniels' appearance onscreen as soon as the town of Dexter, Michigan was mentioned. And another one was the performance of Ray Wise, currently the VP on 24 but forever in our hearts the Dad of Laura Palmer on Twin Peaks. That man, playing a reporter from CBS who was labelled as a "pinko" by the press and relentlessly pursued - he broke my heart. So quietly did he fall apart.

1 Comments:

  • I have to see this movie. Edward R Murrow was one of my heroes growing up. I so admired and respected his work. And his courage!

    You have made me want to see it even more!

    By Blogger Random Musings, at 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home