What We Are Watching

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oscars

I was overall not very entertained by the show itself but I'm ok with the winners. Best surprise was that Crash actually won. I didn't see many of the nominated films this year but Crash was one of the ones I did see and one that I would endorse everyone should see so it seems appropriate that it won. Also, the way the co-screenwriter and co-producer of Brokeback Mountain behaved so self-importantly during her acceptance speech for writing made me cheer out loud that she didn't win. I'm all for making movies that are anti-homophobic - believe me, I am - but dude, it's a western where two men fall in love. It hardly makes the social statement of a film like Crash. (Ok, I guess I should see it but the whole western cowboy thing turns me off; if they were gay astronauts, I'm there.)

Meanwhile, it's talked about every year and was even made fun of during the telecast but why oh why do they cut off the winner's speeches? There is positively no excuse to cut off the winners of the Best Picture, of all categories. Yes, she thanked her financiers and perhaps we could care less about that but it's still the biggest award of the whole show and the woman got cut off! Awkwardly.
That's just wrong.
If anything, get rid of the red carpet thing ahead of time with BIlly Bush and give the award winners more time.

2 Comments:

  • I have been reading the reviews of Jon Stewart's performance and wonder why the media can't get past themselves. If he disappointed the critics...well, too bad. Many people I saw interviewed ( like Spielburg) thought he did well. He made me laugh out loud several times. The critics just don't get it.

    They are also all upset over Brokeback....well, apparently the voters thought a movie about racism in this country was more improtant than a movie about love....I wonder which did better at the box office. And I wonder which will do better in dvd sales and rentals. It will be interesting.

    I haven't seen either...but plan to see Crash. I am just not in the mood for a western

    By Blogger Random Musings, at 1:34 PM  

  • Crash was a wonderful film and I was very impressed by it...not to mention, I wanted it to win but only because it was the only one that I had seen from the list as well.

    I thought Jon Stewart was smart and funny and I would love to see him host again.

    By Blogger Judi B, at 2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home