What We Are Watching

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Least Surprising Finale Ever!!

Tonight’s finale had many of the same elements we saw all season long on the results episodes: too much filler, performances by musical guests I could do without, and a lot of recapping.

There were more judges than usual on the panel for the finale, but they didn’t bother to get them a bigger table. Couldn’t they splurge a little? They all looked silly crammed in front of the little table together.

I enjoyed how each of the four finalists picked their favorite routine and then danced it again. I was happy to see Donyelle pick her broadway routine that she did with Benji to a song from Hairspray. It was one of my favorite routines of the season. I also liked Heidi’s park bench/flower routine much better the second time around. Not sure why.

They also had several routines from other top 10 dancers that they called “judge favorites,” but really are just tour previews I think. I was glad that my girl Allison danced. I look forward to seeing her on the tour. (Yes, I am going)

Each dancer also did a solo. Heidi was first and after she did her solo, Cat Deeley came over and told her sorry, but she was not the winner. It seemed too sudden and out of place, with over an hour still left in the show. Did Heidi know ahead of time that she would get her results after her solo? I hope so, because otherwise that is a bit mean to spring that on her.

When Donyelle was next up to solo, I knew she would not be winning. Certainly they would not announce the winner with an hour to go. And I was right. The winner would be one of the guys. Donyelle spoke about how she had given up on dancing, but that this competition had brought her back to her love of dance. I thought that was touching. I was not as upset as I thought I would be when she lost. I guess I did not hold out much hope of her winning.

About twenty minutes later, Benji came out to do his solo. Prince E shouted “Benji’s going!” because he assumed that they would announce Benji was not the winner when he finished his solo. I told him that they would never reveal the winner with over thirty minutes to go and I was right. Cat teased him/us by saying, “Benji, I am sorry... You will have to wait.”

That tease! Oh and what was Cat wearing tonight? Purple leopard? And so short? She had several weeks of elegant clothing, I was sad she went back to ugly for the finale.

After Travis’s solo, again he was told to wait. More dancing. More recaps. More plugs for the tour. More plugs for movies about dancing.

The top 20 did that monster routine again. The top 10 did the Chicago routine again. I guess they didn’t have time to choreograph/practice anything new.

Finally, with two minutes left, the winner was…Benji!!!
Okay, not much shock there.
Anyone surprised?

Then we saw a taped congratulatory video from Celine Dion, who Benji will soon be dancing for. I am a little insulted that Celine freakin’ Dion knew the winner before we did, but I guess if she is going to be his boss, she should know first.

Anyone else think that Travis might be secretly happy that he can go find work that doesn’t involve having to listen to Celine Dion night after night? I know I would be.

Although it is not technically TV, I will be posting my impressions of the tour, which comes to Chicago in late September.

2 Comments:

  • Your comments are all dead on! I could have been happy with any of the four finalists, but knowing the prize was dancing with the DIon show...I figured Benji would win.

    I hope a lot of these dancers get jobs following the tour. Many of them are deserving of a career.

    I look forward to your comments on the tour.

    By Blogger Random Musings, at 11:12 PM  

  • Funny: Hubby walked in when Benji and Travis were doing their hip hop routine. He commented that the guy in the blue shirt wasn't very good and he liked the guy in green (Travis was wearing blue, Benji was wearing green...). Moments later we learned of the Celene Dion prize and both agreed that perhaps it would be best not to win the show after all.

    And I was thinking the same stuff: too abrupt was the announcment to Heidi and Donyelle. And what the heck was Cat wearing!??!?!???!??!?!??!?

    By Blogger B, at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home