What We Are Watching

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Dancing Finale

The big finale last night was pretty good, although it annoys me to no end that we have to wait an entire week for the results. I am sure the results will be revealed in the last 30 seconds of the show, too, after lots of useless crap. Although they did say the top 20 would be back next week, so that should be fun.

Last night, as promised, all the dancers danced with each other, even the other dancers of the same gender. My memory is so bad, that I cannot remember if they did this last year or not.

Couples dances
Heidi and Travis did disco, which I thought was fun. I liked Benji and Donyelle’s Viennese Waltz and thought it was very pretty. I obviously know nothing about waltz, however, because all of the judges said it was awful. Travis and Benji were up next, with a hip-hop routine. I thought it was a funny concept, as they played two “nerds” who then started doing hip-hop. It was pretty entertaining, but I think that Benji’s butt-shaking is now as over-done as Dmitry’s shirt removal.

Doneylle and Heidi did a Broadway routine to a song from “Sweet Charity.” I went to see that musical when the Christina Applegate version had its debut here before heading to Broadway. It is one of two musicals that I ever walked out on (the other being a really bad version of Showboat that my mom and I still mock to this day). For that reason, I wasn’t really feeling the music. I thought their dancing was very good. The judges slammed them for their lack of personality, which, for these two, is kind of a surprise. Maybe they just don’t work well together or maybe their weird false eyelashes were bugging them, I am not sure.

Travis and Donyelle did a “blues contemporary” routine, which was danced to Ray Charles’s “Georgia on My Mind.” It was really great and they were fabulous. The final couple dance, to no one’s surprise, was cousin-duo Heidi and Benji. I said if they got swing dancing, we would know it was rigged, but they ended up with salsa. They were great, as expected. They really do dance together so easily.

Solos
Heidi’s solo was good and was similar to her other solos, except that this time she had a giant peacock tail on her rear end. Donyelle’s solo was a little different than her last one, but the boys seemed to be pulling out the re-runs again. It is to the point now when Travis dances that we yell, “time for the spin Travis,” and then, inevitably, he will spin. I understand signature moves and all that, but I am tired of the spinning.

The last dance of the evening put all four together. I thought they all did well, but the judges gave kudos to Travis over the rest of them. I wonder if it was an attempt to skew votes one way or the other.

Some other things to note:

* Cat Deeley’s outfit reminded me of the hershey kiss costume my mom made for me for Halloween when I was in the seventh grade, only not as poofy. I could have done without the “I wanna spin you like a disco ball” banter between her and Nigel. Ew.

* Mary Murphy has truly lost it. First the screams, then the dancing in her seat, and last night, she had a conversation with her hand. And the hand had a different voice. What is this woman on??

* The show did another shameless promotion for that dance movie, having the finalists go to the premiere.

Who will win? I honestly do not know. Benji seems to be the crowd favorite of the people in the theater, although Travis has been getting lots of cheers as well. In terms of the home viewers, I am at a loss as to how they will vote. It took me a few tries to get through on both Donyelle and Heidi’s lines, but I don’t think that proves anything. (Yes, I voted). I hope one of them wins, but I don’t think I will be torn up if one of boys wins instead.

Who do you all think will win?

2 Comments:

  • Fussy baby allowed me to only see the boys' solos, and the girls' routine together. Based on that, I just don't know.

    I was annoyed by the eyelashes though. Distracted I guess you should say.

    By Blogger B, at 4:51 PM  

  • I like all four equally...

    Sometimes Nigel, Cat, and Mary irritate me so much I almost give up watching. All four dancers are talented and should have good careers. I wouldn't want to choose one...and will be pleased with whomever. Of course, America will vote on the cult of personality not talent.

    By Blogger Random Musings, at 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home