What We Are Watching

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Dancing Cousins

This is going to be a somewhat incomplete recap because I left my pages of copious notes at home. (Not that I am composing this during work hours or anything!)

For some reason, the show changed the format again and this time each person had to dance two couple dances, but no solos. I was happy to see Mary Murphy and Dan Karaty back as judges. Those folks last week were such snoozers. Cat Deeley had a normal dress for the second week in a row. She didn’t seem to sad that Dmitry was gone, but then later they showed him in the audience, so that explains it.

The stars of the night were Benji and Heidi, cousins who were finally paired together. Their dances showed how beneficial it is to dance with a partner who is at the same level you are, as well as one that you have a lot of experience working with. They did Broadway and mambo. Luckily neither dance had very sexy moves, which would have been a little strange because of whole related thing. Benji was very into the Broadway routine and I could easily see him doing a musical. Both of their routines were extremely entertaining. I would be shocked if either of them go home.

Travis and Donyelle had a rough night with the judges. They drew hip-hop and the quick step. Their hip-hop routine was choreographed by Shane Sparks, who we have taken to calling "the kiss of death," because his routines can be very "out there" and turn off the fans and judges. This routine was no different. They wore masks during the whole routine; masks on the front and back of their heads. It was strange. I am not even sure what happened with the dancing because I couldn’t get past the masks (much like I couldn’t see past those weird white pants that Allison wore a few weeks ago). Their quick step was much more entertaining, but they had technical problems (not that I really noticed, but that should not be surprising).

Natalie and Ryan were good together, I thought, although the judges thought they lacked chemistry. They did disco and contemporary. I loved their disco outfits and enjoyed the routine. There must not be many "moves" in disco, though, because every disco routine on the show has many of the same elements. Their contemporary was great, as I expected, given their backgrounds. It is funny that it took this long for them to be partnered together, because Ryan wanted her as his partner since the beginning. He made a big deal about wanting her as his first partner back in episode one and didn’t hide his disappointment when he drew Heidi. I think he did better with Heidi though.

Ivan and Allison were reunited. They seem much happier when they are partnered together, don’t they? They did hip-hop and the Argentine tango. Their hip-hop routine had much better choreography than Travis and Donyelle’s. Allison had her hair straight. I like her better when it is curly (how is that for superficial judging?). Their tango routine was pretty entertaining, too. I really loved her dress for that dance.

I am really at a loss for who the fans will send home, so I hesitate to even hazard a guess. (Natalie and Ryan, maybe?)

I would not miss Travis or Natalie so I hope they leave. Any of the other females leaving will be sad. I am really nervous for my girl Donyelle.

2 Comments:

  • I think Benji will win.
    There, I've said it.

    By Blogger B, at 4:05 PM  

  • I am concerned about Donyelle too. I really like her and think her dancing is so good. But, Benji and Heidi did steal the night. I also think Benji will win...the judges seem to be a bit over Allison...at first they seemed to think she could do no wrong.

    I think Ryan should go home.
    I think Natalie should go home.

    They are both good dancers...but not to the standard set by Heidi and Benji. They are also not as versatile as Ivan, Travis, and Donyelle.

    By Blogger Random Musings, at 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home