What We Are Watching

Friday, August 04, 2006

The Final Four

First up, I would like to point out that last season, the show was called So You Think You Can Dance? (with the question mark). This year, no question mark. I just noticed this yesterday. I apologize for having used the question marks in my previous discussions of the show. I never thought the question mark made sense and all last season I wanted them to get rid of it. Then they did and I didn’t notice. Anyway, moving on...

I finally picked the two ousted performers: Natalie and Ivan. They didn’t seem too surprised that they were out, nor did they seem too upset. Anyone notice that Natalie cried way less when other dancers got kicked off than when she did? Strange. I did like that they showed my girl Allison in crowd. Yay!

I really think that they should not tell the judges who has been voted off before it is announced on the show. It really skews their comments to each dancer during earlier parts of the episode and you can tell from what they say who is leaving. For example, if Nigel says, “you have a long career ahead of you,” that means you are going to leave and have a long career somewhere else. Also, if they gush and gush over you, you are staying. They would not gush over someone who was leaving, because then they would look silly. Well, except for Mia Michaels and her gushing over Ivan.

I do not understand why Mia Michaels loves Ivan so much, but doesn’t like Donyelle. At least last year her love-interest made sense; it was that professional (egotistical) lyrical dancer, who got voted off because he was a jerk, despite being very good. But Ivan? Not sure why she is so impressed by him.

Also, why was Cat Deeley so impressed with Natalie when she said “Opa!” after discovering she was voted off? She really went on and on about how great a line that was for way too long. Maybe they don’t have a lot of Greeks in the U.K. and she never heard anyone say it in person before? I really don’t understand.

The heavy plugging of other projects by Nigel is really getting on my nerves. It is fine if he wants to brag about the ratings of the show or talk about the tour (which I may just have to partake in), but does he really need to manipulate his comments to one of the dancers so that he can plug “Step it up,” or whatever that new dance movie is called? So irritating.

We are down to the final four: Benji, Heidi, Travis, and Donyelle. I am pretty happy with who is left. I am not sure how the rest of the season will go, because they said next week will be the final performance show. If they explained how the rest of the competition will go, I must have missed it. I really wish they would explain things better on the show; it seems like they keep changing the format/rules and not explaining it fully. Of course I was unpacking during the last two nights’ episodes, so I might have missed the explanation.

1 Comments:

  • I think the correct four dancers are in the final four....they have been my favorites since early on...with the addition of Alison. I guess the main thing I feel good about is that all of them should find it easier to get jobs with this show on their resume. All dance well in different styles and I hope to see them in music videos.

    By Blogger Random Musings, at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home