What We Are Watching

Friday, September 22, 2006

The Comeback

Being blessed that I am with Digital Cable, I have the ability to watch certain programs "On demand." There are a variety of shows, from various channels, that have already aired stored for my viewing pleasure. Through this I was able to catch up on back episodes of "Shalom in the Home." The best thing about this so far is that I was able to watch the entire (and unfortunately only) season of "The Comeback," starring Lisa Kudrow. HBO cancelled the show after one season and this makes me sad.

It is available on DVD and I really recommend that you check it out.

Kudrow plays Valerie Cherish, a woman who had a hit TV show in her 20s. Now in her early 40s, she has been cast on a (really bad) sitcom called "Room and Board," where she plays "Aunt Sassy," clad in awful track suits. She is also simultaneously filming a reality show called "The Comeback," which chronicles her return to television. At the beginning of each episode, we are told that this "raw footage" of the reality show. This means that rather than the carefully edited reality shows we are used to seeing, we get all the behind the scenes action and find out people'e true feelings.

This show is so clever and funny. It really pokes fun at the television industry and reality television especially. Kudrow is great and morphs so much into Valerie Cherish that I don't think of her as Phoebe. In addition to the camera crew that follows Valerie around, they have cameras all throughout the house she shares with her husband. This makes for some funny scenes.

I wish there were more episodes for me to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home