What We Are Watching

Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Race! It's back!

Well the fall season kicked off for me tonight with the Amazing Race. There was quite the diverse cast of characters this time around and many surprises.

Like the cheerleaders aren't bugging me. They are making me laugh. You have to laugh at two women cheering on a pedicab driver as he pedals them through the streets of China. And then the token gay team who is following and joins in the cheer.

Things got off to a fast start with the 11 teams in Seattle and about half of them couldn't figure out where to leave the car at the airport. Then they got on flights and bottlenecked pretty much. But the big shock of the season came when a team was eliminated at a task, not the pit stop. Thus the Muslim Fathers were shortlived in the Race. That's too bad because I was really looking forward to seeing them figure out how to pray on the side of the road and stay in the Race. (I'm not being snarky. I'm serious. I was hoping to see them balance it somehow).

The tasks are more difficult and so far not sponsor driven. I love they've already had a gross eating contest (fish eye balls) and had to scale a wall at the pit stop.

Impressions? I love the single moms so far. They have true spirit. When the one struggled to get up the wall, she cried as she made it and said "I hope my daughter gets to see this." Damn right. That was awesome. And at the fish eye ball task one of the moms turned to the other and insisted she had to do it because she liked Chinese food more. Too funny.

We've got a coal miner and his wife who really needs self esteem classes. She honestly claimed that she couldn't believe she'd gotten him because he was so cute. It's a matter of taste, we'll say, and leave it at that.

The Korean brothers proved once again that going to Harvard doesn't mean you'll win the Race. Common sense and bad luck play a part too.

I'm sad to see the husband and wife go so early that left today. They seemed to truly respect each other and didn't yell at each other like the OTHER couples on the trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home