What We Are Watching

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Rocket Man

I gotta admit, as the season premiere of Gilmore Girls rolled around, I was less than excited. And usually I'm all geared up for more Gilmore. But the creators of the show really took the show off course, in my opinion, and wrote Lorelei into a corner I was dreading to watch.

As you recall, the season ended with the ridiculous storyline of Luke "choosing" April over Lorelei. In reality, it was apparent even then under the old writers, that Luke doesn't take ultimatums. And the thing that is so annoying is, that Lorelei knows this. But still, she ran off and claims they were broken up and sleeps with Christopher.

Now, the new writers have to take over this stupid storyline and run with it. And I think by the end of the show, I'm finally buying what they did and am back on board with this show.

First I had to sit through Lorelei making excuses for what Luke did to her - in her mind she's the victim here. I just don't buy that the character of Lorelei would do that to herself and Luke after the past two seasons but whatever. It's what we are stuck with. So she rids her house of everything that reminds her of Luke - that means everything. She's really hurting. At least they had to sense to make it seem like she was hurt by what's going on.

Meanwhile, Luke had the crazy Kirk and Taylor storyline that ended up with his diner being trashed by Kirk. Typical Stars Hollow silliness. It was in this though that Luke realized he doesn't make decisions well, or quickly.

In the end, he shows up at Lorelei's, ready to elope, not ready to give up on them. As the show ended, Lorelei told him she slept with Chris and Luke silently drives off. I'm all sad.

But then the scenes from next week - those are what are making this ok. Because bring on the saucy Luke!

The side storyline was that Rory is dealing with Logan and the big joke there is that he left for London without the two of them discussing their relationship status and she assumes they are still together but last time they were apart and she thought they were together, Logan slept around on her. He left her a rocket and that was supposed to say it all. Rory had the perfect puzzled look till she figured out it meant he loved her because it was like a Twilight Zone episode he loved. But that's not all! She thinks this means she should run off to London for the summer - but he buys her a ticket for a Christmas visit. Still, their storyline should be good. Logan so obviously is moving on with life as a grown up with a job and Rory is still in school. It should be interesting watching them figure this out.

Wanted more of Paris and her SAT Prep course though.

2 Comments:

  • I liked the episode. Overall I think the new team is picking up well after the mess they were left with. I am still not crazy about Rory and Logan...never will be .

    By Blogger Random Musings, at 11:53 PM  

  • Maybe I'm more sympathetic to Rory's story right now because I'm living something like it myself...but it didn't really bother me too much. I spent the whole hour just mad at Lorelei.

    I forgot to mention I loved the whole Michel talking them into playing racquetball because of cute outfits bit.

    By Blogger B, at 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home